How can I overcome my salt craving?

We need salt. But many of us eat double (or more, more, more than double) the recommended amount. It’s everywhere, especially in processed and starchy food. And you’ve seen people who use that salt shaker like a machine gun, raining bullets on their plate. But if bad habits can start early, so can good ones. Don’t you wish you’d never tasted some of the foods you love that you know are bad for you?

There are a million ways to add flavor to food besides using salt. Herbs, spices, vinegar. Look for cookbooks geared toward healthy eating. Experiment. Start cutting back gradually if that’s the only way you’re going to do it.

Can we overcome the way we’re programmed? Yes, and education is the first step.

Continue Learning about Sodium

What types of foods are highest in sodium?
Processed and convenience foods are usually very high in sodium. Things like frozen entrees, sou...
How can I cut down my consumption of salt?
Melissa Stinson, NPMelissa Stinson, NP
Sodium is added to many foods that are common in the American diet, so it can be difficult to avoid ...
Who can benefit from eating less salt?
Virtually all people, on average, will have lower blood pressure and therefore less risk of heart at...
How can eating too much salt or sodium harm my health?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
One of the triggers of heart disease and stroke is high blood pressure, or hypertension. Eating too ...