How can I cut down my consumption of salt?

Here are some ways to reduce salt in your diet:
  • Experiment with different fresh and dried herbs to see what tastes you like.
  • Replace salt with pepper, lemon and lime.
  • Cut back on processed and packaged foods, which can contain substantial amounts of sodium.
  • Read package labels to learn the sodium content.
  • If buying canned vegetables, look for those with no-salt added.
Once you've cut down on sodium, you'll be surprised at how quickly your taste adjusts to the change.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I eat less salt to stop my stomach from bloating?
The American Heart Association suggests that only 1,500-2,300 milligrams of sodium should be consume...
Is salt really bad for me?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have significant heart failure, excessive salt intake can be dangerous. If you also have chro...
What is the role of sodium in the body?
James C. Bower Jr., MDJames C. Bower Jr., MD
Sodium is a mineral that, together with potassium and calcium, regulates the body's water balanc...
How can I flavor food if I'm on a low sodium diet?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
A low-sodium/salt diet does not mean giving up flavor. Learn to season your food with herbs and spic...