Are salt substitutes safe?

Salt substitutes aren't appropriate -- and may not be healthful -- for everyone.

Many salt substitutes contain potassium in place of all or some sodium. For some people, potassium consumed in excess can be harmful. For example, those with kidney problems may not be able to rid their bodies of excess levels of potassium.

If you're under medical care -- especially with a kidney problem -- check with your doctor or a registered dietitian before using salt substitutes.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How much sodium do I need to stay young?
Most reputable medical associations, including the U.S. Surgeon General's Office, the National Insti...
How much salt should I eat per day for lower blood pressure?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Eating too much salt (which is 40% sodium) raises blood pressure while cutting back on salt lowe...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
Is It OK to Stop Worrying About Salt and High Blood Pressure?