What are the treatment options for sodium metabolism disorders?

Treatments for sodium metabolism disorders depend on whether your sodium levels are too low or too high. If your sodium levels are too low (hyponatremia), your doctor will slowly increase the level of sodium in you blood through drugs and/or IV fluid administration. Diuretics (drugs that cause the body to expel water) are sometimes given in more mild cases. If your sodium levels are too high (hypernatremia), your doctor will replace fluids in an attempt to dilute the sodium concentration of your blood. In both cases of hyponatremia and hypernatremia, sodium levels must be adjusted gradually to avoid causing permanent brain damage.

Continue Learning about Sodium Metabolism Disorders

How long do sodium metabolism disorders last?
The duration of sodium metabolism disorders depends upon the underlying cause of the condition and h...
How do other illnesses affect sodium metabolism disorders?
Sodium metabolism disorders are usually caused by other illnesses or conditions. Heart failure, kidn...
How do I care for someone with a sodium metabolism disorder?
Caring for someone with a sodium metabolism disorder involves seeking medical attention for them imm...
How do I manage my sodium metabolism disorder on a daily basis?
Usually, treating the underlying cause of a sodium metabolism disorder will remedy the sodium metabo...