How can antidiuretic hormone affect sodium metabolism disorders?

Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone secretion (SIADH) occurs when the pituitary gland secretes too much antidiuretic hormone, leading to hyponatremia (a type of sodium metabolism disorder). When there is too much antidiuretic hormone in the blood, the body retains fluid, which causes sodium levels to become diluted. Certain drugs, as well as pain, intense exercise, stress, and other factors can cause antidiuretic hormone levels to become elevated. SIADH occurs most commonly among older persons and hospitalized persons.

Continue Learning about Sodium Metabolism Disorders

Are there cures for sodium metabolism disorders?
The cure for a sodium metabolism disorder involves identifying and remedying the underlying cause of...
Should I talk to my doctor about my sodium metabolism disorder?
Sodium metabolism disorders can be severe and even fatal, so if you suspect you or someone you love ...
Are sodium metabolism disorders serious?
Sodium metabolism disorders are not always serious, but in some instances, they can be life-threaten...
What is the rate of incidence for sodium metabolism disorders?
The rate of incidence for sodium metabolism disorders is fairly high, with hyponatremia (low sodium)...