Are sodium metabolism disorders life-threatening?

Whether or not a sodium metabolism disorder is life-threatening depends upon several factors, including the severity of the sodium imbalance, the rate of onset, and the underlying cause of the imbalance. Patients in intensive care units with sodium blood levels above 150 mEq/L (milliequivalents per liter) have a fatality rate as high as 48%. Patients with extremely low sodium blood levels (less than 105 mEq/L) have a fatality rate over 50%. The normal range of sodium blood levels is 135-145 mEq/L.

Continue Learning about Sodium Metabolism Disorders

Are there cures for sodium metabolism disorders?
The cure for a sodium metabolism disorder involves identifying and remedying the underlying cause of...
What is the rate of incidence for sodium metabolism disorders?
The rate of incidence for sodium metabolism disorders is fairly high, with hyponatremia (low sodium)...
What are sodium metabolism disorders?
Sodium metabolism disorders occur when sodium levels become unbalanced in the blood. Hyponatremia (l...
How do I manage my sodium metabolism disorder on a daily basis?
Usually, treating the underlying cause of a sodium metabolism disorder will remedy the sodium metabo...