How do friends help keep busy moms healthy?

For a busy mom, the best way to stay connected is to find a buddy at work or with another parent of your child’s friends. A good friend will keep your blood pressure low and decrease weight. This is because if the friend shares the same goals, you are more likely to adopt his or her habits. Having a friend also improves your immune system by warding off depression. Depression has been linked to infection by inhibiting the fighting ability of your immune system’s T-cells. It doesn’t have to be one friend. Group participation works, too--religious groups, social groups, and work groups are all beneficial. Try multitasking, like taking a walk with a friend or enrolling in a group tennis lesson--you’ll get exercise and socialization all at once for a double heart boost.

Continue Learning about Friendship

How can having lots of friends keep me healthy?
The more you broaden your social horizons, the more options you’ll have. The more friends you have, ...
How does having friends affect my health?
While spending happy times with friends and loved ones is a pleasure and may feel like an indulg...
10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties
10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties10 Best Cities for Strong Social Ties
Find out which cities have residents with the strongest social networks.
Your Coworkers Can Help You Quit Smoking