How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose social phobia?

Richard Walsh
Social Work
Social phobia can be anxiety provoking and preparation can relieve some of the anxiety. I suggest that you use the internet and become educated to your problem as part of your preparation process. For some folks going to a doctor or therapist can feel overwhelming. MDLiveCare, which provides tele-therapy and evaluation from the comfort of your own home or office can be a viable alternative. MDLiveCare offers you access to a group of licensed doctors and therapists to assist you at your convenience.

Since the social phobia diagnosis is made primarily on the basis of your symptoms, you should be prepared to list the symptoms you are having at your appointment. Try to pinpoint when these problems started, so you'll know how long you've had them. You'll also want to note any major life events you've experienced recently, as well as any history of physical or emotional illness. You should let your doctor know if you are taking any medications or supplements. It can help to jot these things down (along with any questions you may have) beforehand so that you don't forget anything during your appointment, especially if going to the doctor is one of the things that makes you anxious.

Continue Learning about Social Anxiety Disorders

What is social anxiety disorder?
Tamar ChanskyTamar Chansky
Social anxiety disorders can seriously impact a person's day-to-day life. Learn about the sympt...
What should I know to care for someone who has social anxiety disorders?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Humans are naturally social, so the inability to participate in normal social activities can be a so...
What are the symptoms of social anxiety disorders?
David Tolin, PhDDavid Tolin, PhD
Social anxiety disorder (also called social phobia), is an excessive fear of social or performance s...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What are social anxiety disorders?