How can I work circuit training into my soccer conditioning?

Circuit training is a great way to get both a cardiovascular and strength training session completed in a short time frame. For most soccer players, putting on a lot of muscle during their weight training session is not the goal.  A soccer player does want to get stronger, but conditioning is key to their success along with their ball skills. Circuit training is a good way to get the strength needed while continuing to build cardiovascular fitness. Because of the already high demands on the legs while on the soccer field, the circuit programs should have limited lower-body exercises. The upper-body exercises should focus on the larger muscle groups with safe exercises that will keep a player in good form.  The circuit should be short with limited rest and high repetitions.  Using medicine balls, exercise bands, and dumbbells help players be creative in the exercise selection while allowing them to move form one exercise to the next quickly.

Continue Learning about Soccer

How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
Is recovery during the soccer season important?
It is important to make recovery protocols as important as conditioning itself. Your daily recov...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...