What training should I focus on during a soccer season?

Performance training during the soccer season should be geared toward keeping you healthy.  It should focus on maintenance, recovery, and injury prevention measures.  Exercise selection for an in-season program is somewhat similar to an off-season program.  An in-season program should contain weight lifting (resistance training), running, plyometrics, and agility drills.  A large majority of this performance training will occur during the practice time.  Be sure perform a short recovery routine daily that includes a form of self-massage that alleviates knots in your muscles called foam rolling and stretching.  These flexibility exercises will ensure that your muscles return to their proper length and are able to provide optimal joint range of motion.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Is recovery during the soccer season important?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Recovery and regeneration is often the most under utilized and misunderstood conditioning modality. ...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The general principles should be consistent between a training day and match day warm up. The need t...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...