What training should I focus on during a soccer season?

Performance training during the soccer season should be geared toward keeping you healthy.  It should focus on maintenance, recovery, and injury prevention measures.  Exercise selection for an in-season program is somewhat similar to an off-season program.  An in-season program should contain weight lifting (resistance training), running, plyometrics, and agility drills.  A large majority of this performance training will occur during the practice time.  Be sure perform a short recovery routine daily that includes a form of self-massage that alleviates knots in your muscles called foam rolling and stretching.  These flexibility exercises will ensure that your muscles return to their proper length and are able to provide optimal joint range of motion.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Is recovery during the soccer season important?
It is important to make recovery protocols as important as conditioning itself. Your daily recov...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
What energy systems am I using during soccer practice?
The energy system demands of soccer practices can vary based on the drills that are done and how...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...