What protective headgear is available for soccer players?

Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. Equipment companies market this headgear to soccer players with the claim that it will reduce head injuries that occur from heading the soccer ball. No research has confirmed that this headgear is effective in reducing the incidence of head injuries. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Soccer

How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Shin splints, also know as medial tibial stress syndrome, is an overuse injury thought to be cau...
What type of shoe should I wear for soccer?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two basic categories of soccer shoes: cleats and turf shoes. Cleats work well on wet, ...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
Is recovery during the soccer season important?
It is important to make recovery protocols as important as conditioning itself. Your daily recov...