What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?

Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength training for the muscles surrounding the groin and the core. Some exercises to consider adding to the performance training program to help combat groin injuries are stretches for the adductors (inside part of the thigh) and abductor muscles (outside part of the thigh), strength training for the adductors and abductors, and core training.  Begin the flexibility training with a self-massage technique called foam rolling that uses a foam roll device to alleviate knots and tension in the muscles. Foam roll the adductors, IT-band, TFL, and piriformis.  While foam rolling these muscles, find the tender spots and hold on the spot for thirty seconds.  Follow the foam rolling with static stretches for the same muscles. You can try the standing adductor stretch, kneeling hip stretch, lying down piriformis stretch, and the outer thigh stretch to help keep the range of motion in the hip joint.  Once the flexibility routine has been completed, it is important to strengthen the muscles and restore balance to the body. Great strength training exercises to include are forward, side, and turning lunges and step-ups.  Core training is also important as it will help stabilize the hips, spine, and back, and create a foundation from which your legs can move.  Including plank, side plank, and draw-in with march exercises into the training program will improve the endurance of your core muscles and help prevent injury.      

Continue Learning about Soccer

What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The general principles should be consistent between a training day and match day warm up. The need t...
How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Start training slowly, long before the soccer season to build up adequate strength in legs and butto...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...