What is a good plyometric drill to improve my jump explosiveness?

A lot of times as a goal keeper you do not have the luxury to squat or perform a countermovement prior to jumping.  Most jumps for a keeper are quick and reactive.  A good plyometric drill to help improve your explosiveness without squatting first is a box jump up.  To execute this drill, get a sturdy box, bench, or bleacher.  Standing in front of the box, get into a loaded position (squat down by bending the knees to load your legs at the same time pull your arms back).  Hold in this position for 2 seconds building tension in your glutes and legs.  After holding for 2 seconds, explosively jump as high as you can finishing by landing on the box.  When jumping, ensure your backside does not drop prior to lift off.  You want to work your ability to generate power in your legs without countermoving.  

Continue Learning about Soccer

Is recovery during the soccer season important?
It is important to make recovery protocols as important as conditioning itself. Your daily recov...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
What type of shoe should I wear for soccer?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two basic categories of soccer shoes: cleats and turf shoes. Cleats work well on wet, ...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...