What is a good competitive drill for soccer players to perform?

It is important to include competitive drills into soccer practice and training sessions because they help inspire competitiveness and, more importantly, provide fun.  Try 1-on-1 exercises where players race for the ball and the winner of posession is on offense and the loser plays defense. To prepare for this drill, recruit a teammate against whom you are going to compete and a coach to start the drill.  You and your teammate will start the drill be standing shoulder to shoulder, facing the same direction. The coach will stand behind you and throw a soccer ball several yards out in front of you.  Once the ball settles in position, the coach should release you to race your teammate to the ball. Whoever gets to the ball the fastest and acquires possession is the offensive player.  The loser of the race is on defense.  The player on offense has to dribble the ball back to the coach in 8 seconds to get the point while the defensive player tries to steal the ball and/or prevent the offensive player getting back to the coach in 8 seconds.  This drill will help you react, chase down a ball, and respond to the player who wins the chase. 

Continue Learning about Soccer

What type of shoe should I wear for soccer?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two basic categories of soccer shoes: cleats and turf shoes. Cleats work well on wet, ...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Start training slowly, long before the soccer season to build up adequate strength in legs and butto...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...