What exercise should I do to strengthen my neck to head a ball?

There may not be an exercise to avoid a concussion, however, having a strong neck can help reduce the chances of whiplash when contacting the ball with your head.  One exercise to help build the stability of your neck muscles is a ball chin tuck exercise.  To perform this exercise, begin with getting into a quadruped position (on your hands and knees) and place a stability ball between the top of your head and a wall. From this position, slowly extend your face forward towards the ground while keeping the top of your head in contact with the ball, and then back up to the starting position. This exercise helps strengthen the deep muscles of your neck that help support your head and cervical spine.  Also, you can perform some neck flexion, extension, and side bends while lying on a bench.  Perform 20-30 slow, controlled repetitions for each direction.  These two exercises will help strengthen and improve the endurance of the neck muscles in all directions.  Be sure to review proper technique with your coach before heading a ball so that you remember to strike the ball with your forehead near the hairline and attack the ball rather than waiting for the ball to come to you.

Continue Learning about Soccer

How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Shin splints, also know as medial tibial stress syndrome, is an overuse injury thought to be cau...