As a defender, what is a good drill to improve my foot quickness?

As a soccer defender, it always important to remember to move your feet while defending an attacker.  If both of your feet come to a stop at the same time, you are in trouble.  Building your foot quickness is key to staying in front of your opponent, and speed ladder exercises are a great way to do this. There are many different options to choose from. A few examples of good speed ladder drills that can mimic soccer movements include side shuffles, zig zags, and Ali shuffles. Perform these drills with your feet close to the ground while in a good athletic stance. Move through the ladder as quickly as you can while maintaining balance and control.  Perform one set of each drill in rapid succession without rest.  When you complete one set of all three, take a short rest.  Repeat this pattern 1 to 3 times.  An example progression of one set would be to do side shuffles up and back, zig zags up and back, and Ali shuffles up and back, and then rest.

Continue Learning about Soccer

How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...