What drill can I do to improve my ability to change direction?

A great training drill to incorporate is the 300-yard shuttle run in 50-yard intervals.  To set this drill up you will need 2 cones, markers, or lines that are 50 yards apart.  Starting at one end, you are going to sprint down to the other end as fast as you can.  Once getting to the other end, quickly change direction and head back to the starting line.  Upon reaching the starting line, change directions again heading towards the other end.  Continue this pattern for 3 complete trips of there and back.  Push yourself for this drill to install good habits of quickly getting up and down the field.  This will be a great endurance exercise as well.  Try to maintain proper form when changing direction and make quick, explosive changes.  Remember to keep a good arm pump and breathe throughout the duration of the drill.  Complete 4 sets with 60-90 seconds rest in between runs.  Use a stop watch to time the runs.  Aim to maintain your times for each run, and look to improve those times throughout the training program.  Working hard now will improve your fitness for the match.

Continue Learning about Soccer

As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...