Is there a drill to improve my arm action when running in soccer?

Having a great arm swing will help accelerate and maintain your speed when running.  A simple and effective drill to properly teach arm mechanics when running is a seated arm action drill.  To perform this drill begin by sitting on the ground with your legs straight ahead.  Sit up straight and tall to keep your torso upright.  Bending from your elbows, begin to swing your arms from the shoulders.  Start off slowly with the arm swing so you can feel the motion.  Concentrate on driving the elbows back one at a time and bringing the forward arm to shoulder height.  Prevent your arms from crossing your body.  Once you have a feel for the motion, begin to pick up the speed of the arm swing slightly while maintaining proper posture.  Continue to breathe.  Finally, swing your arms at full speed.  You should feel yourself begin to lift off the ground.  Remember to continually concentrate on driving the elbows back aggressively.  Key points to remember while performing this drill include keeping your torso tall and upright, preventing your arms from crossing the body, and driving your elbows back.  This is a great drill to perform during any running/speed workout days.   

Continue Learning about Soccer

Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Warming up before a match should be slightly modified compared to daily practice and training wa...
What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...