What is a drill I can do to improve my ability to change pace?

One great drill to include in your training is on-offs.  With on-offs, you will change from jogging to sprinting and back multiple times over a  designated distance.  You can set cones on the pitch to mark when you speed up and slow down, or you can have a teammate call the pace.  When perfroming the on-off drill, start by jogging.  When you reach a certain point or a teammate calls "on," begin sprinting until the next designated marker or the teammate yells "off."  At this time, you will slow down until you reach your initial starting pace.   To increase the difficulty, instruct your teammate to randomly determine the length or duration of the jogs and sprints.  On-offs can easily be adapted to make it a conditioning drill by increasing the amount of time you perform them.  During the drill, try to control your breathing especially when jogging; this will help you recover faster and lower your heart rate.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...