Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?

Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protection from blows to the shin by dispersing the shock over the entire shin guard. The soft shin guards with inserts are easier to fit on younger players, and are more comfortable. If your shin guard fits right, it should protect you from just above the instep to about three inches below the knee. It’s important that the shin guard not be too long because that would restrict knee movement and also cut into the instep. On the other hand, a shin guard that is too short won’t adequately protect the shin area. The pad should cover the front portion of the shin and about half of the sides of the shin.

Continue Learning about Soccer

What energy systems am I using during soccer practice?
The energy system demands of soccer practices can vary based on the drills that are done and how...
As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...