How can I simulataneously improve my soccer speed and endurance?

A great drill to include in your training program to improve your speed and endurance is called tempo sprints.  Tempo sprints are are a drill in which you run at 75% of your maximum effort for an extended distance.  They are also sometimes refered to as striders. This is a great exercise for performance improvement, especially while you are learning proper running technique.  By running at a slower pace, you can concentrate on your form and simultaneous get in some conditioning work.  Soccer players should perform this drill by running for a distance of 120 meters, 6-8 times and rest 30 - 45 seconds between each run.  Time yourself during each run so that you stay at a consistent pace for all of the repetitions.  If you are having trouble maintaining a consistent pace for each run, take a little longer rest.  If your times are consistent, you can try to add more repetitions or decrease your rest period.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...
Is recovery during the soccer season important?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Recovery and regeneration is often the most under utilized and misunderstood conditioning modality. ...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
What type of shoe should I wear for soccer?
There are two basic categories of soccer shoes: cleats and turf shoes. Cleats work well on wet, ...