How can I simulataneously improve my soccer speed and endurance?

A great drill to include in your training program to improve your speed and endurance is called tempo sprints.  Tempo sprints are are a drill in which you run at 75% of your maximum effort for an extended distance.  They are also sometimes refered to as striders. This is a great exercise for performance improvement, especially while you are learning proper running technique.  By running at a slower pace, you can concentrate on your form and simultaneous get in some conditioning work.  Soccer players should perform this drill by running for a distance of 120 meters, 6-8 times and rest 30 - 45 seconds between each run.  Time yourself during each run so that you stay at a consistent pace for all of the repetitions.  If you are having trouble maintaining a consistent pace for each run, take a little longer rest.  If your times are consistent, you can try to add more repetitions or decrease your rest period.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Warming up before a match should be slightly modified compared to daily practice and training wa...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...