Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?

Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to include a linear speed test for soccer players. The ability to get up and down the field quickly can open up opportunities for any soccer player. One good linear speed test for soccer players is a 50-meter sprint.  To perform this assessment, have the athlete line up on the starting line and start the time beginning with the athlete's first movement.  Stop the clock once the athlete runs through the finish line at 50 meters from the starting line.   

Continue Learning about Soccer

What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Warming up before a match should be slightly modified compared to daily practice and training wa...
Is recovery during the soccer season important?
It is important to make recovery protocols as important as conditioning itself. Your daily recov...