Should I lift weights before or after soccer practice?

Ideally, you should lift weight following regular practice on scheduled resistance training days.  Practice is your first priority during the soccer season and performance training should integrate into the practice schedule.  If your schedule only allows time for you to lift weights prior to practice, then use this time in the weightroom as a warm-up to prepare yourself for practice.  Be sure to avoid pre-practice fatigue by lessening the number sets or repetitions, use lighter weight, and consider performing alternate exercises. 

Continue Learning about Soccer

What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...
As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Warming up before a match should be slightly modified compared to daily practice and training wa...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...