Should I condition during the soccer season?

Practicing drills on a field is great adative to your soccer season.  Use soccer cones and set up a staggered line of 8-10 cones and practice kicking a ball around the cones while controlling your speed, sharp turning and agility with the ball around each cone.  Another drill is a box drill. The set up is easy: using 4 cones form a square on a field approximatly 30-50 feet in distance. Practice sprinting, changing direction, backpedalling and cutting. That will give you the most benefit with your limted time between games. Working with a strength and conditioning or performance enhancement specialist may help accelerate your in-season conditiong goals.
In some cases, completing additional conditioning outside of soccer practice is a good idea.  This is usually recommended for a player who begins the season out of shape or is coming back from an injury.  If you add extra conditioning into your program, be careful to avoid overtraining. Most times athletes who are looking for additional conditioning can achieve the same effects by practicing with greater intensity; run instead of jog all over the field, and sprint to every drill.  These additional bursts of intense activity will give you a little extra conditioning during practice.  Spend time outside of practice working on your soccer skills such as dribbling, passing, and shooting. 

Continue Learning about Soccer

Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The general principles should be consistent between a training day and match day warm up. The need t...