How can I improve my ability to transition from a slide tackle to a sprint?

One drill to incorporate into your speed training is an excise called atypical starts.  Atypical starts are sprints, but you are starting in an unconvential way.  For instance, starting in a seated position will be an example of an atypical start position.  Once in an atypical start position, quickly get out from the starting position and into a sprint.  When getting up from a seated position, quickly roll to one side, push yourself up with your arms, lean your body forward, and break into a sprint. Avoid standing up straight when getting up; stay low and begin to move towards the finish line.  Some other positions to start in include lying on your backs, resting on your knees, lying on your side, etc.  Be creative by putting yourself in different starting postions.

Continue Learning about Soccer

Is recovery during the soccer season important?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Recovery and regeneration is often the most under utilized and misunderstood conditioning modality. ...
What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...
How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The general principles should be consistent between a training day and match day warm up. The need t...