How can I get in shape for soccer season if I have a lower body injury?

Always be sure to follow your doctor and physical therapist's instructions for your rehabilitation program. Training that you most likely will be able to do includes upper-body endurance drills and pool work.  One upper-body exercise that can increase your heart rate for cardiorespiratory training is an arm ergometer.  This piece of equipment is essentailly a bike for the upper body.  This can be a safe way to condition your heart and lungs while healing from a lower body injury.  Swimming is another good training option while you are recovering from a lower body injury.  If your lower body needs to remain stationary, you can still swim laps using a pull buoy to support your legs.  As your rehabilitation progresses, you will probably be able to perform some water resistance exercises while standing in the shallow end of the pool.  Remember to discuss all of your conditioning options with your doctor and physical therapist first before engaging in any additional activity outside of rehabilitation. 

Continue Learning about Soccer

What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...