How can I get in shape for soccer season if I have a lower body injury?

Always be sure to follow your doctor and physical therapist's instructions for your rehabilitation program. Training that you most likely will be able to do includes upper-body endurance drills and pool work.  One upper-body exercise that can increase your heart rate for cardiorespiratory training is an arm ergometer.  This piece of equipment is essentailly a bike for the upper body.  This can be a safe way to condition your heart and lungs while healing from a lower body injury.  Swimming is another good training option while you are recovering from a lower body injury.  If your lower body needs to remain stationary, you can still swim laps using a pull buoy to support your legs.  As your rehabilitation progresses, you will probably be able to perform some water resistance exercises while standing in the shallow end of the pool.  Remember to discuss all of your conditioning options with your doctor and physical therapist first before engaging in any additional activity outside of rehabilitation. 

Continue Learning about Soccer

How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
What energy systems am I using during soccer practice?
The energy system demands of soccer practices can vary based on the drills that are done and how...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...