How many warm-up sets should I do when lifting weights for soccer training?

A good guideline to follow when determining the number of warm-up sets to complete for a weight lifting exercise is to perform one warm-up set for every hundred pounds you are going to lift in your working sets.  For example, if you are going to squat 200 pounds, be sure to perform two warm-up sets before you lift 200 pounds for your first working set.  If you are going to lift 250 pounds perform three warm-up sets prior to your first working set.  Also, before you begin the resistance training portion of your workout, perform a dynamic warm-up, some bodyweight exercises, and an explosive exercise.  For instance, if you are going to squat during your resistance training, perform a set of lunges, a set of overhead squats, and a few box jumps before you perform your first warm-up set.   

Continue Learning about Soccer

Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
Gena Cahill , NASM Elite TrainerGena Cahill , NASM Elite Trainer
Soccer could definitely be classified as both aerobic and anaerobic. It depends on what position you...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...