How many warm-up sets should I do when lifting weights for soccer training?

A good guideline to follow when determining the number of warm-up sets to complete for a weight lifting exercise is to perform one warm-up set for every hundred pounds you are going to lift in your working sets.  For example, if you are going to squat 200 pounds, be sure to perform two warm-up sets before you lift 200 pounds for your first working set.  If you are going to lift 250 pounds perform three warm-up sets prior to your first working set.  Also, before you begin the resistance training portion of your workout, perform a dynamic warm-up, some bodyweight exercises, and an explosive exercise.  For instance, if you are going to squat during your resistance training, perform a set of lunges, a set of overhead squats, and a few box jumps before you perform your first warm-up set.   

Continue Learning about Soccer

What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
How important is recovery training for soccer players?
Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and pr...