How can I improve my hands as a goalie by myself?

While training with a partner is easier, there is a drill you can do when you are by yourself.  Find a wall to kick or throw a ball against.  When the ball rebounds off of the wall, move yourself into a position to catch or block it.  This is difficult because your will have to move quickly to get your body in position to react to the ball after completing the kicking motion.  Vary the drill by striking the wall in different locations; this will help mimic the wide variety of shots you may experience in a game situation.  Not only will this drill help with catching a ball with your hands, but it will force you to move your body to get into position.  Without the body in the correct position, the hands are useless.

Continue Learning about Soccer

How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
Shin splints, also know as medial tibial stress syndrome, is an overuse injury thought to be cau...