How can I improve my hands as a goalie by myself?

While training with a partner is easier, there is a drill you can do when you are by yourself.  Find a wall to kick or throw a ball against.  When the ball rebounds off of the wall, move yourself into a position to catch or block it.  This is difficult because your will have to move quickly to get your body in position to react to the ball after completing the kicking motion.  Vary the drill by striking the wall in different locations; this will help mimic the wide variety of shots you may experience in a game situation.  Not only will this drill help with catching a ball with your hands, but it will force you to move your body to get into position.  Without the body in the correct position, the hands are useless.

Continue Learning about Soccer

What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
What protective headgear is available for soccer players?
Headgear available for soccer players is a 1.5- to 2-inch-wide foam headband or a soft helmet. E...