How can I improve my ability to react after landing from a header?

The quicker you can decelerate and stabilize yourself when landing the faster you can move.  First, work on this ability to decelerate and stabalize yourself when landing by performing box jump-downs with stabilization in the frontal, sagittal, and transverse planes.  As you land, quickly stabalize yourself by absorbing the impact of the landing by bending your hips, knees, and ankles.  Your weight should be equal distributed between both legs, so you feel as if you can quickly move in any direction.  It is important to keep your knees over the second and third toes when you land.  Also, it helps to give a strong exhale as your feet connect with the ground.  As your comfort level and form improve, you can add movement to the drill.  After landing on the ground, explosively transition into a sprint.  Remember to stay low when you begin to move and avoid popping up.       

Continue Learning about Soccer

As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
What energy systems am I using during soccer practice?
The energy system demands of soccer practices can vary based on the drills that are done and how...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...