How do I get more rotational motion in my torso as a soccer player?

Achieving more rotational motion in your torso can be accomplished with a combination of flexibility and strengthening exercises.  The first flexibility exercise you should do is the iron cross.  To perform this exercise, lie down on your back with your arms stretched out from your sides so that your body is in the shape of a cross.  Rotate from the hips, bringing the opposite foot toward the outreached hand.  Hold this position for 30 seconds. Rotate back to the starting postion and switch sides.  Keep both shoulders relatively flat throughout the stretch.  The other flexibility exercise you should do to improve your rotational movement is called the scorpion.  To perform the scorpion, lie down on your stomach with your arms stretched out from your sides.  Rotate from the hip, bringing the opposite heel towards the outreached hand.  Bend your knee to assist with the movement.  Hold this stretch for 30 seconds, then return to the starting position and alternate sides.  The strengthening exercise you do to improve your rotational range of motion is called cable chops.  The most important thing to remember when doing this exercise is to initiate the movement in your core by rotating your shoulders around your pelvis and engage your arms to assist with the motion. Use very low resistance when performing this exercise and complete 12-25 repetitions.  Once you become comfortable with rotating, you can begin to increase the speed of the chopping motion.        

Continue Learning about Soccer

Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
How do I avoid shin splints with all the running in soccer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Start training slowly, long before the soccer season to build up adequate strength in legs and butto...
What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...