Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?

Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They will let you know what you can and cannot do.  Always ask your doctor and physical therapist about doing some additional training outside of your rehab program.  If you are cleared to engage in additional training, be sure to stay within the doctor and medical practitioner's guidelines so that you do not exacerbate your injury.  Be honest with yourself; if things are not feeling right, stop!  Remember that your goal during injury recovery is to successfully complete your rehabilitation program and get back being a contributing member of your team.  Delaying your return by doing too much too soon is not worth it. If you have not been cleared to participate in any kind of training, stay close to the coaches during practice and matches to take notes on what they are teaching and be sure to ask questions as you are observing.  Also, help your fellow teammates by encouraging them and providing some objective feedback.  Taking this time to co-coach will help you learn and stay actively involved with the team.        

Continue Learning about Soccer

What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Gentle jogging and/or skipping for 10-15 minutes after a match, followed by some static stretchi...
How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
How can I recover faster between pre-season soccer practices?
Practices are very intense with very little rest time between during the soccer pre-season.  One...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...