Is there any particular exercise I should do before a soccer match?

Before each soccer match, it is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize performance. Begin by using a self-massage technique called foam rolling on your tight muscles, making sure to hold on tender spots for approximately 30 seconds. Common muscles that may be tight and could benefit from foam rolling include your calves, inner thighs, outer thighs, and mid-back. After foam rolling, static stretch the same tight muscles, making sure to hold each stretch for roughly 30 seconds. The combination of foam rolling and static stretching will help your tight muscles relax and elongate, improving joint range of motion and your ability to move with fluidity. Once the tight muscles are stretched, some dynamic activities will help increase your heart rate and blood circulation and will even "wake-up" your nervous system, helping you to contract your muscles forcefully. Some dynamic exercises you can do include hip swings, scorpions, iron cross, lunges with rotation, and push-ups with rotation.  After your dynamic warm-up, begin performing soccer-specific drills such as dribbling drills, kicking drills, and passing drills.

Continue Learning about Soccer

What type of shoe should I wear for soccer?
What type of shoe should I wear for soccer? There are two basic categories of soccer shoes: cleats a...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport? Soccer is an aerobic sport, but performance will be limited...
What's the best way to cool-down after a soccer match?
Jog for 10-15 minutes after a soccer match and follow this with static stretching of the primary mus...