When should I call my doctor if I snore?

Snoring can be a sign of other medical conditions. Signs that snoring may be a problem are:
  • You wake up in the morning feeling unrested.
  • You have morning headaches.
  • You have a dry mouth in the morning.
  • You have chronic medical problems.
If you know you snore, you should talk to your doctor. Your doctor may look for causes of the snoring such as sleep apnea or swollen tonsils.
If you snore, you should call your doctor if your snoring is bothering you or your sleeping partner and/or if you have symptoms of sleep apnea, a condition in which you stop breathing during sleep for periods of 10 seconds or more. The following symptoms may indicate you have sleep apnea with snoring.
  • You awaken often during the night.
  • When you awaken you feel like you are choking.
  • You awaken with a gasp or a snort, and start snoring again when you fall back to sleep.
  • Your sleeping partner notices pauses in your breathing when you are sleeping.
  • You feel sleepy and lack energy during the day.
  • You feel less mentally sharp during the day.
  • You experience headaches.
Regular snoring in a child should always be checked by a doctor.

Continue Learning about Snoring

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
Why is it important to tell my doctor I snore before having surgery?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Snoring is a sign of an underlying problem with your airways, which could put you at risk for issues...
How is snoring related to sleep apnea?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Snoring may be an early warning sign for obstructive sleep apnea. Snoring is caused by the vibration...
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring
4 Fixes to Stop Snoring