What can I do to reduce my snoring?

Here’s how to stop snoring and get better rest -- and lower your blood pressure while you’re at it:
  • Get physical. If you are 40 years old or older, have a neck size larger than 17, are overweight, or don't exercise much, get moving! Exercising (walk at least 10,000 steps a day) and losing weight might be your quickest and most lasting fix for the snoring blues.
  • Roll over. Sleeping on your back invites soft tissue at the back of your throat to relax and block air passages. Try sleeping on your side.
  • Cut out the nightcap. Alcohol can make tissue at the back of the throat sag, so even non-snorers snore.
  • Get dust mite-proof bedding.
If those steps don’t help, you might have sleep apnea, the stop-breathing-gasp-for-air-snort-and-snore racket that causes 75% of the cases of chronic snoring, so see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Snoring

Why is it important to tell my doctor I snore before having surgery?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Snoring is a sign of an underlying problem with your airways, which could put you at risk for issues...
Why do I snore?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Snoring is an air turbulence issue; when our nasal passages are narrowed, the air moves faster in th...
How can snoring be dangerous to my health?
Snoring can be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a common sleep disorder. People with OSA bri...
Do People Sleep Better Alone or With a Partner?