What are snore patrols?

Abie H. Mendelsohn, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
People who snore generally have no idea just how loud they can be while they sleep. However, people who sleep in the vicinity of a snorer have a very good idea how loud snoring can be. Some hotel chains have taken it upon themselves to address this issue by employing “snore patrol” -- staff members who walk the halls at night to listen for offending snorers. The noisy sleepers are reminded not to snore by a gentle knock on their door. While the snore patrols may offer quieter nights for those who do not snore, unfortunate snorers may not find a good night’s rest when the patrol is on the prowl.

Catering to sleep needs and sleep problems of travelers seems to be on the rise. I wrote not long ago about a hotel chain in Europe and the Middle East that had begun offering sound-proofed "snore absorption rooms" to its clientele. The same chain has also designated quiet zones, where they've gone so far as to institute "snore patrols." Snoring loudly in these areas will result in guests receiving a visit from a night patroller.

Continue Learning about Snoring

What is the relationship between heavy snoring and health risks?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Heavy snoring may be more than just a nightly nuisance. A 2008 study in the journal Sleep found that...
How common is snoring?
Craig L. Schwimmer, MDCraig L. Schwimmer, MD
Some 45% of all adults snore, so snoring is a VERY common problem - not only for the snorer, but for...
How to Stop Allergy-Related Snoring
How to Stop Allergy-Related Snoring
Can My Partner's Snoring Affect My Health?