Should I take my child to the doctor if he snores?

Children frequently snore. If your child snores heavily, seems to have pauses in his breathing or appears sleepy during the day, bring him to see his doctor. Some children have sleep apnea, which is a pattern of reduced breathing that should be treated.

About 16 percent of kids snore, sometimes a few times a week. If you hear snoring or loud breathing from a kid, alert your pediatrician. Sleep apnea (episodes of interrupted breathing during sleep) is becoming more common in children, especially in those who are overweight.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Snoring

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
What can I do if my partner snores?
Craig L. Schwimmer, MDCraig L. Schwimmer, MD
Explain that their snoring is impacting your relationship, and causing you lost sleep. You will both...
What should I do if I snore very loudly?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
Loud snoring is often a marker of severe sleep apnea, which can significantly increase your risk of ...
How to Stop Allergy-Related Snoring
How to Stop Allergy-Related Snoring