Will I gain weight if I quit smoking?

Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease

It is a very common concern among smokers that they will gain weight if they quit. However, not everyone gains weight when they stop smoking. In reality, one-third of smokers who quit will gain weight, one-third of those who quit smoking will maintain their weight and one-third of people will lose weight.

If you are gaining weight when you quit, this could be a sign that your withdrawal symptoms are not well controlled. People who use medications like a nicotine patch or bupropion to help them control withdrawal are much less likely to gain weight than people who quit cold turkey.

This fear is a very common concern among people who smoke. However, not everyone gains weight when they stop smoking. In reality, the statistics tell a very a different story. One third of people who smoke will gain weight when they quit smoking. One third of people who smoke will maintain their current weight when they quit smoking. One third of people who smoke will actually lose weight.

One of the biggest fears that people have about quitting smoking is weight gain. On average, men gain about ten pounds within six months of quitting, and women, about eight. However, weight gain should be the very least of your worries. The dangers of smoking are far greater than the dangers of gaining six to ten pounds. Also, the weight gain is often temporary. For example, women may gain eight extra pounds within six months of quitting, but they commonly lose six within the next eighteen months. With careful planning, you can prevent weight gain altogether.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do on the day I quit smoking cigarettes?
Today's the day you've been working and walking toward. So come on, make it happen. Do the follo...
Where can I get information on how to quit smoking?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Here are several recognized resources that can provide the tools to help you quit using tobacco ...
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking