Why should I quit smoking if I'm planning to have a baby?

If you are planning to become pregnant, quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and the health of your future baby. Women who smoke during pregnancy have a higher rate of infant death, low birth weight and premature babies. Furthermore, smoking, as well as secondhand smoke, can also make it more difficult for a woman to become pregnant, by decreasing fertility. Once a woman is pregnant, oxygen and nutrients are delivered to the baby by an organ called the placenta. In women who smoke, the passage of oxygen and nutrients across the placenta, from mom to baby, is significantly impaired due to constriction of the blood vessels involved in the placenta. Not only is smoking bad for the placenta, but it can also cause direct harm to the baby by altering the baby's DNA, which could lead to diseases later on in life. If you plan to become pregnant and are currently smoking, talk with your doctor. There are many options available to help people kick the habit.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How do I rearrange my garage to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
If you are like many people, you may have retreated to the garage where you squirreled away a pack o...
How do I avoid a relapse after quitting smoking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are tips for remaining tobacco-free: Track your journey. Nothing motivates like succ...
What's the hardest part of quitting smoking?
Quitting smoking may cause short-term problems, especially for those who have smoked a large number ...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?