Why do some people find it hard to quit smoking?

There are people who are genetically addicted to smoking. With just one cigarette, they are hooked. (If you dream that you don't mind dying because you can smoke in heaven, you are probably genetically addicted.) This is the case for about one third of the smokers I have come across. The rest are physiologically and psychologically addicted but don't have the same huge genetic predisposition. They are just as hooked, but for them it is both a little easier to avoid getting hooked in the first place and a little easier to quit. Make no mistake, however: Quitting is hard for everyone. That's why nearly one in three Americans over age fifteen who smoke -- 30 percent of men and 27 percent of women -- continue to smoke despite the warnings, and despite repeated attempts to quit.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

What is the cheapest option to manage my nicotine addiction?
Whatever option you pick to help you kick the habit will still be cheaper than continuing to buy cig...
What are nicotine replacement therapies?
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) reduces nicotine withdrawal symptoms and helps fight the craving ...
How do I know if I'm ready to quit smoking?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Before you quit smoking, you may need to ask yourself if you are ready. Take a look at the quest...
Where can I get information on how to quit smoking?
Here are several recognized resources that can provide the tools to help you quit using tobacco ...