Who should not use nicotine replacement products?

You should not use nicotine lozenges, gum, skin patches, inhalers, or nasal spray if you are still smoking. Also, you should not use them if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have certain medical conditions. Depending on your doctor's advice, the following conditions might prevent you from using nicotine replacement products: diabetes; asthma; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); an overactive thyroid; heart disease or chest pain; high blood pressure; an irregular heartbeat; stomach ulcers; kidney or liver disease; an adrenal gland tumor called a pheochromocytoma; or temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease. In some cases, you should not use one type of nicotine replacement product, but may be able to use another. For example, you should not use nicotine nasal spray if you have nasal or sinus problems, such as sinusitis or nasal polyps. You should not use nicotine lozenges if you have phenylketonuria, because they contain phenylalanine. Someone with dental or mouth problems should not use nicotine gum. Your doctor can help you choose the right nicotine replacement product.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I begin the process of ending my cigarette substance abuse?
The first step is to set a quit date and let family and friends know so they can support you and hol...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?