Which type of nicotine replacement therapy may be right for me?

There's no evidence that any one type of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is any better than another. When choosing which type of NRT you will use, think about which method will best fit your lifestyle and pattern of smoking. Do you want/need something to chew or occupy your hands? Or are you looking for once-a-day convenience?
Some important points to think about:
  • Nicotine gums, lozenges, and inhalers are substitutes you can put into your mouth that allow you to control your dosage to help keep cravings under better control.
  • Nicotine gums and lozenges are generally sugar-free, but if you are diabetic and have any doubts, check with the manufacturer.
  • Nicotine nasal spray works very quickly when you need it.
  • Nicotine inhalers allow you to mimic the use of cigarettes by puffing and holding the inhaler.
  • Nicotine patches are convenient and only have to be put on once a day.
  • Both inhalers and nasal sprays require a doctor's prescription.
  • Some people may not be able to use patches, inhalers, or nasal sprays because of allergies or other conditions.
Whatever type you use, take your NRT at the recommended dose, and for as long as it is recommended. If you use a different dose or stop taking it too soon, it can't be expected to work like it should. If you are a very heavy smoker or a very light smoker, you may want to talk with your doctor about whether your NRT dose should be changed to better suit your needs.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What are the long-term benefits of quitting smoking?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
The long-term benefits of quitting smoking include the following: 1 year after quitting, the exc...
Can a flavored toothpick really help me quit smoking?
A flavored toothpick may help with the psychological aspect of needing something in your mouth. ...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?