Where can I get information on how to quit smoking?

Here are several recognized resources that can provide the tools to help you quit using tobacco and make the transition to a healthier lifestyle.
  • "smokefree.gov": This site provides information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people who want to quit smoking. The site provides an online step-by-step cessation guide; local and state telephone quitlines; National Cancer Institute's (NCI) national telephone quitline; NCI's instant messaging service; and publications. The specially trained staff at NCI's Cancer Information Service can provide smoking cessation counseling and answer questions (in English or Spanish). They can send free materials about cancer and have information about other resources and services.
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office on Smoking and Health (OSH)— "www.cdc.gov/tobacco": The CDC's OSH is the government's lead agency on smoking control. OSH funds the distribution of booklets on smoking topics such as helping a friend or family member quit smoking, the health hazards of smoking, relapse and the effects of parental smoking on teenagers.
  • American Cancer Society
  • The surgeon general's Web site ("www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco")
  • American Legacy Foundation: The foundation has two goals that guide its work toward creating tobacco-free generations: to arm all young people with the knowledge and tools to reject tobacco use and to eliminate disparities in access to tobacco use prevention and cessation services. The foundation's Great Start program is the first national media campaign and toll-free quitline to help pregnant women quit smoking. Free, confidential counseling is available in English and Spanish ("www.americanlegacy.org").
  • American Lung Association ("www.lungusa.org")

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?
How Can I Quit Smoking Today?
How Can I Quit Smoking Today?
How Can I Quit Smoking?
How Can I Quit Smoking?
Is Smoking a Hookah Pipe Safe?
Is Smoking a Hookah Pipe Safe?