When may I begin using nicotine replacement therapy?

You may start using NRT as soon as you throw away that last cigarette. You do not need to wait a certain length of time to put on the patch or start using the gum, lozenge, nasal spray, or inhaler. You should double-check this information with the instructions on your chosen method of nicotine replacement, but in general there is no need to wait to start using NRT.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do on the day I quit smoking cigarettes?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
On your Quit Day, follow these suggestions: •    Do not smoke. This means none at all -- not even...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?