What are some therapeutic options to help one quit smoking?

Luckily there are now a variety of options to help you “kick butt.” They include: 
  • Nicotine gum - used over a 12-week period in a program that allows you to chew up to 24 pieces daily.
  • Nicotine lozenge - requires you not to chew, bite or swallow the product and has a specific tapering regimen over 12 weeks.
  • Nicotine patches - offer tapering doses over an 8-week period.
  • Nicotine nasal spray/inhaler - allows you to take 1-2 doses daily and gives you a 6 month period of time to break your smoking habit.
  • Certain drugs that are also being used to help wean smokers off cigarettes include: Bupropionlonidine, Nortriptyline, and Varenicline.
Talk to your doctor if you want to try to stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How much does quitting smoking reduce my risk of heart disease and cancer?
Smokers who quit have immediate health benefits: Risk for a heart attack drops sharply just one y...
What should I do while driving when I'm trying to quit smoking?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Here are a few things to keep in mind for driving while you are trying to quit smoking:Remove the as...
How Do I Quit Smoking for Good?
How Do I Quit Smoking for Good?