What medications can help me quit smoking?

Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease

There are several FDA-approved medications available to help you quit smoking. These include:

• Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
  • Transdermal nicotine therapy
  • Nicotine gum
  • Nicotine lozenge
  • Nicotine nasal spray
  • Nicotine inhaler
  • Bupropion (Zyban)
  • Varenicline (Chantix)
Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
You don’t have to go it alone -- cold turkey -- anymore. There are new medications on the market that help with the biochemistry related to addiction. Bupropion is an antidepressant discovered accidentally for nicotine addiction. It was found that depressed patients taking this medication also ended up quitting smoking even when they did not intend to do so. While the exact mechanism of how it works is not completely understood, many patients report their cravings are diminished and smoking had lost its appeal.

Another medication is called vareniciline. It works by binding the receptors in the brain and it prevents the nicotine from attaching there. Once this drug binds to the nicotine receptors, it releases much smaller amounts of dopamine; therefore, it calms craving. However, if you try to smoke, you get no pleasurable surge in dopamine release.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can filters in cigarettes help me quit smoking?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Filters that reduce tar and nicotine in cigarettes do not work. In fact, studies have shown that smo...
How can I quit smoking if everyone at work smokes?
If some of your coworkers light up on the job, the first thing you should do is check the smokin...
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?