What medications can help me quit smoking?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
You don’t have to go it alone -- cold turkey -- anymore. There are new medications on the market that help with the biochemistry related to addiction. Bupropion is an antidepressant discovered accidentally for nicotine addiction. It was found that depressed patients taking this medication also ended up quitting smoking even when they did not intend to do so. While the exact mechanism of how it works is not completely understood, many patients report their cravings are diminished and smoking had lost its appeal.

Another medication is called vareniciline. It works by binding the receptors in the brain and it prevents the nicotine from attaching there. Once this drug binds to the nicotine receptors, it releases much smaller amounts of dopamine; therefore, it calms craving. However, if you try to smoke, you get no pleasurable surge in dopamine release.
Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease

There are several FDA-approved medications available to help you quit smoking. These include:

• Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
  • Transdermal nicotine therapy
  • Nicotine gum
  • Nicotine lozenge
  • Nicotine nasal spray
  • Nicotine inhaler
  • Bupropion (Zyban)
  • Varenicline (Chantix)

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How soon after I quit smoking will my health start to improve?
Your health will start to improve almost immediately after quitting smoking. Within 20 minutes after...
Is it ever too late to stop smoking?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
To put it simply, no. Smoking cessation prior to elective surgery of any type, even days before, is...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?