What is nicotine nasal spray?

Nicotine nasal spray is an aid to quitting smoking. This medication provides nicotine and is used in conjunction with a smoking cessation plan to help lessen the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. The standard dosage is one spray in each nostril, approximately every hour; however heavy smokers may require more frequent administration (maximum 80 sprays per day or 1/2 bottle). Nicotine nasal spray is the generic name for the brand-name product Nicotrol NS. Nicotine nasal spray is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved medicine.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Why should I change my daily routine if I want to quit smoking?
So much of what keeps people smoking is addiction, but part of it is habit, too. So while you're...
How do I rearrange my garage to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
If you are like many people, you may have retreated to the garage where you squirreled away a pa...
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking