What is high-dose nicotine replacement therapy for heavy smokers?

Another NRT option is to give smokers a higher dose based on the amount of nicotine that they have been getting from cigarettes. Sometimes this method has required larger doses of NRT than have been used before. High-dose NRT with patches has been studied with patients getting from 35 mg to 63 mg of nicotine per day. The research suggests that patients' withdrawal symptoms go away with these higher doses and their cravings improve without harmful effects on the heart and circulation. Patients were carefully watched in these studies to make sure they were doing well and were not becoming ill or having any problems. But not much is known about this option and it should be considered only with a doctor's guidance and supervision.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can I reduce the effects of nicotine withdrawal when quitting smoking?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
The following are ways to manage nicotine withdrawal symptoms when quitting smoking:Craving for ...
How do I choose a stop-smoking treatment?
Your doctor can help you choose a stop-smoking treatment that’s right for you depending on the lengt...
Are E-Cigarettes a Smart Alternative to Cigarettes? Maybe Not