What should I expect during meals while trying to quit smoking?

Smoking affects your weight by decreasing your appetite through its stimulant effects and lowering your metabolism to a small extent. Once you quit smoking, your weight may initially increase, due to an increase in your appetite and a slight lowering of your metabolism. You will also notice an improvement in your taste perception and this may also cause you to eat more. Food can be used as a substitute for tobacco; therefore, snacking can cause further weight gain. It is advisable to maintain a healthy lifestyle while you quit smoking to avoid gaining weight during this process. Substituting exercise for smoking and choosing healthy snacks such as fruits and vegetables should be a part of your tobacco cessation plan.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Quitting smoking substantially reduces the risk of developing and dying from cancer, and this benefi...
How can quitting smoking help my heart and lifestyle?
Quitting smoking lets the inside cells of your arteries called your endothelial cells start to heal....
I want to quit smoking, what kind of treatment and support exists?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Quitting smoking is probably the best thing we can do for our health and the health of those around ...
Should I avoid caffeine if I'm trying to quit smoking?
If you're a person who regularly drinks caffeinated beverages, then you might notice that you're a l...