What can I expect from group counseling for smoking cessation?

Receiving counseling while trying to quit smoking - whether in person or via telephone or computer - has been shown to improve success rates. Repeated visits, calls, or chats with a trained counselor (usually a nurse or a therapist) increase long-term smoking cessation rates.
You may find that group counseling is the most appealing counseling option for you. It can give you the opportunity to interact with people who are experiencing the same things as you. Group counseling usually involves short presentations about the quitting process, group interactions, exercises on self-monitoring, a suggested tapering method in preparation for the quit date, development of coping skills, and suggestions for relapse prevention.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do during the first month after I quit smoking?
In the first month after quitting smoking, use the following strategies to increase your chances of ...
What should I expect from smokers around me while I try to quit tobacco?
If you're trying to quit, you might catch a little flak from smokers around you. If you are livi...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?