What are some benefits of using stop-smoking aids to quit smoking?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The following are advantages of using stop-smoking aids or nicotine replacement therapies for quitting smoking:
  • Nicotine patch: Provides a stable level of nicotine in the blood for 16 to 24 hours; easy to use
  • Nicotine gum: Provides a rapid rise in blood level of nicotine; user can control dose to respond to cravings; oral substitute for a cigarette
  • Nicotine inhaler: Provides a rapid rise in nicotine; user controls the dose; hand-to-mouth substitute for smoking
  • Nicotine nasal spray: Offers the quickest increase in blood nicotine levels; user controls the dose
  • Nicotine lozenge: User controls the dose; oral substitute for smoking
  • Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban, generic): Easy to use; no nicotine involved
  • Varenicline (Chantix) : Easy to use; no nicotine involved

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can cytisine help me quit smoking?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It's not easy to do, but stopping smoking is critical for your health. In this video, Dr. Robin ...
What habits should I change if I want to quit smoking?
It helps to avoid not just the cigarettes, but anything you associate with smoking. For some peo...
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?