What are some benefits of using stop-smoking aids to quit smoking?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The following are advantages of using stop-smoking aids or nicotine replacement therapies for quitting smoking:
  • Nicotine patch: Provides a stable level of nicotine in the blood for 16 to 24 hours; easy to use
  • Nicotine gum: Provides a rapid rise in blood level of nicotine; user can control dose to respond to cravings; oral substitute for a cigarette
  • Nicotine inhaler: Provides a rapid rise in nicotine; user controls the dose; hand-to-mouth substitute for smoking
  • Nicotine nasal spray: Offers the quickest increase in blood nicotine levels; user controls the dose
  • Nicotine lozenge: User controls the dose; oral substitute for smoking
  • Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban, generic): Easy to use; no nicotine involved
  • Varenicline (Chantix) : Easy to use; no nicotine involved

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can a flavored toothpick really help me quit smoking?
A flavored toothpick may help with the psychological aspect of needing something in your mouth. ...
Can changing my routine help me stop smoking?
Changing your routine in even small ways can definitely help you quit smoking. One of the most commo...
How Smoking and Blood Pressure Affect Your Heart’s Age